Wagon Land Adventure : Collections
Object ID:
WG 2011-023
Object Name:
Moline Farm Wagon
Description:
This double box wagon hauled almost every kind of hauling job on the farm. This wagon box has an extra side board increasing the capacity of grain or corn that could be hauled. Farm wagons carried potatoes; hogs; corn; wheat; boxes of produce; and apples to market. After the grain was threshed, this original box was used to haul sacks of grain to the warehouses and flour mills in nearby towns. The Moline Wagon Company started in the 1850s when craftsman James First, once a blacksmith for John Deere, started repairing, then building, wooden wagons by hand. By 1872, the business was incorporated and grew to a capacity of more than 30,000 wagons a year. He partnered with Morris Rosenfield and Charles Benser in 1869, and then left the business a year later. As president in 1881, Rosenfield invested in Deere, Wells & Company, a John Deere sales branch in Omaha, Nebraska. After that, John Deere sales branches began to sell these wagons. The Moline factory grew to 500 workers and claimed it could build a new wood wagon every six minutes. In 1911, Deere purchased the business and renamed it the John Deere Wagon Company. Just two years later, the Moline factory became known as the Wagon Works. From 1912 on, all wagons made in Moline sported the John Deere name on its rear axle and wagon box.
Click to Enlarge
Image